ADSM-L

Using ADSM to creat disk images

2000-01-25 10:34:32
Subject: Using ADSM to creat disk images
From: Terry Taylor <taylota AT CHAMPINT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:34:32 -0500
Hello all,

We are getting ready to roll out a fairly large number of NT servers this year,
both new servers and replacements.  With all of the additional products we
install after NT, it takes about a day to build a server.  We are looking at
ways to decrease this installation time.  One of the methods we were
contemplating is to use ADSM to create an image after we had completed the
initial server installation.  Have any of you ever done this?  Had any success?

We could build out first server and use some sort of dummy name.  After we
install all of our additional software, we could then run a full ARCHIVE of the
C Drive.  When it came time for the next server install, we could install a
minimal version of NT in a different directory than NT is normally installed in.
This server would be INITIALLY be named as the dummy server name.  Next, we
would install the ADSM client.  We could then do a full retrieve of the original
image.  We could then reboot from the normal NT directory and change the server
name and assign the correct IP address.

I know there are more steps than this required, but I was trying to keep this
short.  Any major flaws in this?  I'm thinking this may cut our time down by at
least half.  Thanks in advance!!!