ADSM-L

Re: Single Tape Drive Situation

1999-09-07 13:53:13
Subject: Re: Single Tape Drive Situation
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:53:13 -0500
Does this customer have only one ADSM server?  If this is a second ADSM
install for this customer then you could use virtual volumes.  I am working
with a customer who needs a small site solution.  In this solution we will
have a site with one server, ADSM loaded on it and one tape drive.  We will
mount one tape with a retention of 9999 which should keep the tape mounted
forever.  Then we backup strait to tape for onsite recovery.  For DR we are
using virtual volumes to get the DB backup and the copy pool to another
server.  This is how we provide 2 copies.

If this is the only ADSM server then my thought would be one of your 2 you
outlined.  I too am not aware of a way to copy from tape to tape with only
one tape drive.  I do know as you do you can reclaim to a file.  You can
also copy the tape to a file but I don't think that saves you much.  Another
way to get 2 copies but no better would be to backup to disk and create 2
copy pools.  Then migrate nothing.  Simply perform the copy stg once to each
copy pool.  Again, I know this is just another way but I like the solutions
you mentioned better.

Kyle