ADSM-L

DRM recover botches device configuration

1999-09-07 13:34:40
Subject: DRM recover botches device configuration
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:34:40 -0500
Greetings,
    We were testing ADSM DRM to restore our ADSM database backup tape to

another system.  We moved the DRplan to the restore system, un-awked it
the server directory, and modified several of the stanzas as
appropriate.  One of the
things we changed was the DEVICE.CONFIGURATION file.  When first
un-awked it described the device class, library, and drives of our
STK9714
library.  But we didn't have access to this on our test box, so I
modified it to
describe a manual library with a single DLT drive in it.
    I then ran the recovery stanza which formated and installed the
database and
log files, replaced the device config file and dsmserv.opt file and
restored the
ADSM database.  It worked just fine, prompting us for the
tape containing our ADSM database.  I inserted it, and away it went, and

restored the ADSM database, then started dsmserv.
    But after dsmserv came up, it had the old library and drive
definitions in
it!  What do I need to do to cause ADSM to use the device configuration
file we coded to get the ADSM database to restore?  In a real DRP
situation, you wouldn't think you would have to delete and recreate all
your
libraries and drives by hand, when you could have them pre-built in a
DEVICE.CONFIGURATION file set up special for your hotsite.
    Any suggestions?  Any way to force ADSM to load it's device
definitions from a devconfig file when it comes up?

Thanks in advance,
John Schneider

* John D. Schneider       Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.