ADSM-L

Re: More Questions on DR Without DRM

1999-02-22 15:22:03
Subject: Re: More Questions on DR Without DRM
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:22:03 -0600
     Just MHO

     Oh GOD I hate saying this 'cause everyone needs a job!

     Depending on your workload you will probably find it is more
     economical to just buy another adsm server, 3494 ATL, 3590's , and
     communication lines yielding an "intervention free" offsite disaster
     recovery environment.

     OUCH that hurt!

     Plus the added security, safety, etc...  let's face it, a 3590
     currently holds 10 GB raw data, 30 compressed.  IBM just announced
     their upgrade to make that 20 & 60 GB.  Say you have 10 novell servers
     with 60 GB each... that would be about 10 new tapes.  Ol' Joe Blow
     make'n barely minimum wage to transport those tapes stops to get
     lunch, he runs into his girlfriend, they take an extended lunch, the
     temp inside his car reaches 160 degrees and about the same time your
     computer facility reaches 1400 degrees as it burns... get the picture?
     Ugly ain't it!  Gets even worse 'cause as you pull tapes from your
     "vault" you find out Joe Blow was make'n a habbit of meeting his
     girlfriend for lunch.

     Yep, I am an Okie and I tend to phrase my statements like the
     hillbilly I am but that doesn't mean they don't have merit.

     We have taken this approach, it works well.

     later,
           Dwight

     Dwight Cook
     Sr. Computer Facilities Analyst