ADSM-L

Re: Insufficient Memory

1998-11-24 15:17:37
Subject: Re: Insufficient Memory
From: "Alexander, Robert" <ralexander AT SHL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:17:37 -0600
We have had similar problems backing up on one of our production HP servers.
It has 2.5 GB RAM and was getting the same error. I increased kernel
parameters (not for ADSM, but tuning for oracle) specifically the shared
memory parameters... and upon the next backup attempt, everything has worked
as advertised since. I believe that ADSM tries to allocated a shared memory
segment of a fixed size (I think 8MB) once it has used that, it tries to
allocate another (still 8MB) and then another and so on. So, I believe the
fix lies in the realm of increasing the maximum number of shared memory
segments available per process (and/or the total number of segments
available.) Once I increased these two parameters, the backups started
completing again successfully.

HTH,

Rob Alexander
MCI Systemhouse