ADSM-L

Re: How are files REALLY selected for incremental backup?

1997-11-19 03:59:29
Subject: Re: How are files REALLY selected for incremental backup?
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:59:29 -0000
Hi Roger,

Your in luck - a simple incremental will do the
trick!
ADSM checks the client file system, compares with
database and based on what has changed AND what
has been added will backup the files - (Although
these
files were not actually added, it will look like
that to
ADSM - because there is no record of the files in
the
database.

Regards
Christo Heuër
ABSA Group
Johannesburg
South Africa
E-Mail: christoh AT absa.co DOT za

> You might (or might not) have read my sad story
from Saturday about how
> to erase a tape volume full of client data
efficiently and interestingly,
> by doing your queries in the wrong order. Today
I'm mopping up from that.

> I gave last rites for that data, saved the
output from QUERY CONTENT
> because something tells me it will be useful,
and did a DELETE VOLUME xyz
> DISCARDDATA=YES on that volume. So now the
database does not contain
> entries for those files.
>
> What is the easiest way to recover from this,
and return to a state where
> all of a client node's files are backed up?
Simply have each client (as
> listed from Q CONTENT) do a normal incremental
backup? Will that cause
> each file which had been backed up to the
ill-fated tape to be backed up
> again, even if has not changed since then? My
question is, if one of the
> files which had been previously backed up to
the ill-fated tape, is still
> present on the client node, (as I TRULY hope!)
will its absence from the
> ADSM Databse cause it to be backed up this time
around? Or is it simpler,
> and uses the Client Node operating system's
last-change-date to determine
> whether or not to back it up? In the latter
case, I would probably have
> to do a DELETE NODE, to induce a full backup,
unless I could persuade
> each client node owner to manually back up each
of a list of files using
> BACKUP BY TREE or BACKUP BY FILE SPEC, and to
do it without making typos.

> I sure hope a simple incremental backup will do
it.

> Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at
Chicago     rogerd AT uic DOT edu
> Aliases:                  u52983 AT uicvm.uic DOT edu
      R.Deschner AT uic DOT edu
me at once...===========