ADSM-L

Re: ADSM AIX Client Fix

1997-05-27 11:21:00
Subject: Re: ADSM AIX Client Fix
From: Hanna Hahne <Hanna.Hahne AT DKFZ-HEIDELBERG DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:21:00 GMT+1
On 23 May 97 at 11:34, Francisco Franco wrote:

> Hi James.
>
> James C. Harrer, SE/CRM, /Long Grove, G-5 JHARRER - CPOLNM01 wrote:
> >
> > ===============================================================================
> >
> > RE: ADSM AIX Client Fix
> >
> > Checkout APAR IC17108.
> >
> > If you are running ADSM/MVS V2 R1 L0.12 server, ADSM/AIX V2 R1 L0.6G client
> > and are using client compression, you want the fix.
> >
> > I use IBMLINK ASAP to monitor apars in ADSM, but my profile for AIX was set
> > 565511902 AR1 for activity on the AIX V4 platform.  If I was also monitoring
> > ADJ for the AIX V3 platform, I think ASAP would have alerted me to the
> > problem.  I do not have any AIX V3 systems so I thought I did not need to
> > monitor it.  As it was I did not learn of the problem until I had the code
> > installed on one of my production clients.  I hope this saves some of you
> > from
> > the same problem.
> >
> > Can IBM explain why ASAP was not effective in disseminating this
> > information?
> > Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to monitor every platform?
>
> Actually, I believe that there is a fix that brings the client to
> ADSM/AIX V2 T1 L0.6I on AIX 3.2 (at least).  I downloaded the file
> from the adsm ftp site and the file name was "ptfI.instbin".
> However, when I start up the client it tells me that it is at Level
> 0.6D.
>
> So, I'm not sure if this is an official fix or not.
>
> I was pointed to this fix as a result of a call that I opened up
> with ADSM support because if I tried to recall a HSM migrated file
> from the server which was bigger than 28 MG on the server side and >
> 60 MG on the client side, the dsmrecalld would just hang until it
> crashed the machine.
>
> Francisco
> x9477
> --
> Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
> Ontario Hydro                   tel:    (416) 592-9477 700
> University Ave              fax:    (416) Toronto, Ont.

One of my clients has the same problem: retrieve of a compressed
archive file (537 MB at client side, 277 MB at server side) crashes
after the transmission of 28.8 MB from server to client. And it does
not only happen with the AIX client, he reproduced it with SGI and
Solaris, too. Server ist AIX 2.1.0.12; cllients are at level 2.1.0.6
and 2.1.0.5.

Is there a fix for it? Is it "ptfI.instbin" at the adsm ftp site for
the aix platform?

Hanna Hahne
Hanna Hahne                        email:  Hanna.Hahne AT dkfz-heidelberg DOT de
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum
Zentrale Datenverarbeitung         Tel.:   (+49) 06221 - 42 2357
Im Neuenheimer Feld 280            Fax:    (+49) 06221 - 42 2399
D-69120 Heidelberg