ADSM-L

Re: why two tape are filling

1997-03-27 12:52:01
Subject: Re: why two tape are filling
From: Tom Bell <bell AT WAII DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:52:01 -0600
> With 2 tape drives, I understand having 2 tapes in filling status.  But 7
> seems excessive.  We do incremental backups every day and most go directly
> to tape because we don't have much disk space.  The maxsize on our disk
> backuppool is small enough that migration only happens once a week or so.
>
> Four of these tapes have not been used in the last week, the oldest not
> since 3/13.  That one is 1.2% utiliized with  31.9% reclaimable.
>
> If this is normal, then I'll just mark it down as an eccentricity of ADSM.
>  If there's an explanation that makes sense, I'd like to know that too.

Issue a "q vol stat=fill f=d" to see the access state and the error
state.  We periodically have filling volumes get an I/O error while
writing.  ADSM changes their access state to read-only and sets them to
the error state, then grabs another scratch tape and puts it in the
filling state.  I have a cron job (AIX 3) that periodically issues a
"q vol stat=fill acc=reado" to look for these volumes and generates
Email to the ADSM administrators so they can follow-up.

--
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com