ADSM-L

Re: why two tape are filling

1997-03-27 07:07:00
Subject: Re: why two tape are filling
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 07:07:00 EST
I've noticed this sort of thing too.  We have 2 tape drives, so I would
expect only 2 tapes to be in filling status yet we have 7.  All of them are
read/write.

On another note, I had a weird experience with reclamation yesterday.  Two
tapes were processed by reclamation.  The contents of the first tape
(status=full) was moved to a second tape.  The second tape then was
reclaimed (it's status was still filling) and its contents moved to a third.
 Why on earth would ADSM move the data from tape 1 to tape 2, only to move
it all again to tape 3?  I think it goes back to no logic in selecting the
order of the tapes to be reclaimed.  If ADSM had looked at all the tapes
that would be processed, it wouldn't have handled it this way.   I hope I
never get to the point where I have several tapes in filling status that
also are eligible for reclamation.  It would take forever to move the data
from tape to tape to tape ...

Tina Hilton
Thomson Consumer Electronics