ADSM-L

Trace File Interpretation

1997-03-27 12:42:34
Subject: Trace File Interpretation
From: Peter Thomas <Peter_Thomas AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 13:42:34 -0400
From: Peter Thomas on 03/27/97 01:42 PM
I'm attempting to understand the performance of our ADSM clients and have
been making use of the
      -traceflag=instr_client_detail
command line option to the dsmc client.

I'm running into a problem though in interpreting all of the results, and
wondered if there exists an ADSM manual (or red book or ...) that describes
what all of the values mean.

I'm seeing some "large" variations in the times reported against the "Solve
Tree"  category on an NT server; one selective backup reported 53 seconds,
the next 805 seconds! The only cvhnage between the two runs was the first
run had no other clients backing up to ADSM, the next had six additional
clients.

Peter Thomas