ADSM-L

Archive schedules

1997-03-11 13:00:03
Subject: Archive schedules
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:00:03 -0800
I'm in the process of setting up an archive schedule for a
"level 0" backup of some systems, but I'm having trouble with the
definition.

The relevant parts of the schedule, as I have it defined are:

                        Action: Archive
                       Objects: /*
               Start Date/Time: 03/10/1997 21:10:00

I'm mainly having trouble with the Objects parameter. I tried it
simply with "*", which archived the /usr/local/adsm directory and
all of its subdirectories (imagine my surprise when 10 SGI
workstations had completed their "level 0" backup within fifteen
minutes!). Next I tried Objects defined as "", just as my
incremental backup schedules are defined. No joy. Complaints in
the client schedule logs about no objects specified. Finally I
settled on the above (i.e., "/*") which seemed to work, but upon
closer inspection, "/*" only picks up files in the root file
system (all affected clients, in this case, are SGIs).

In spite of DOMAIN statements in the dsm.opt files on the client
side, which explicitly list all local filesystems, "/*" only
picks up the "/" filesystem. What should I specify in the Objects
parameter in order to archive all objects on any given system?

Thanks. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>