ADSM-L

Re: DLT 2000XT tape experiences

1996-12-19 17:11:07
Subject: Re: DLT 2000XT tape experiences
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:11:07 EST
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 12:49:00 CST Ron Thielen 773-702-7612 said:
>> Does anyone have experience with the settings of block_size on DLT 2000XT's?
>>
>> We are not getting anywhere near the 'advertised' throughput on our DLT
>drives
>> and I was told that the default 1024 setting is not optimal.  Does anyone
>have
>> a recomendation?  Where do I see the best performance?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Bob

Ron Thielen responded:
>I did quite a bit of benchmarking last year and found that performance
>was no better, sometimes worse, than an 8mm tape drive unless you use a
>blocksize of 0, variable blocked.  Then we were able to achieve transfer
>rates that were significantly closer to "advertised".
>
>Hope this helps.

How does one change the blocksize?  I can do it for the non-ADSM device,
but there are no SMIT options for the ADSM DLT device.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Network & Computing Systems        Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601