ADSM-L

Re: Why can authorized users delete my files?

1996-12-19 17:05:27
Subject: Re: Why can authorized users delete my files?
From: William White <www AT CNP.TEA.STATE.TX DOT US>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:05:27 -0600

> This situation where someone else can delete my files is extremely
> serious.  Consider that I might use ADSM to distribute software.  I know
> this is done because I have installed software that I have received
> over the network from ADSM at another site.  If I grant access to
> someone else so that they can retrieve my files, I have no control
> over how their machine is set up.  If the machine they are on allows
> them to delete archived or backed-up files, then they can delete
> my files, and there is nothing I can do about it, unless I choose
> to never allow anyone else access to my files.

+++++
Two thoughts:

One, this sounds like the Universal Security Delimma.  If I give someone
access to my files, how do I know he won't do something bad to them?

Two, distributing software may be something you _can_ do with ADSM,
but that is not what ADSM is designed for.

--
(Signed)  William W. White  --  www AT tenet DOT edu   (512) 475-3557 fax
463-9090
(Signed)  William W. White  --  www AT tenet DOT edu   (512) 475-3557 fax
463-9090
Texas Education Agency, Systems Support Division 612, 1701 Congress Avenue,
Austin, Texas 78701