ADSM-L

Re: SAP R/3 backups

1996-12-17 20:42:55
Subject: Re: SAP R/3 backups
From: Tom Kauffman <namffuak AT SKYENET DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 20:42:55 -0500
At 12:59 PM 12/17/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Tom Kauffman wrote:
>>
>> My environment is an SP2 frame with two wide nodes and three high nodes,
>> with the SP2 switch. We'll be using an Oracle database with SAP/R3. ADSM is
>> running on one of the wide nodes.
>>
>> What kind of throughput can we expect? My initial testing indicates
>> 52-56MB/sec on the switch interface, compressed or raw; does anyone have
>> guidelines about number of concurrent sessions before this drops
>> significantly? We anticipate having about 120GB to back up, with a nightly
>> window under 4 hours.
>>
>> (All the DASD will be 4.5MB units in 7133-010 SSA frames)
>>
>> Thanks -
>>
>> Tom Kauffman
>> NIBCO Inc.
>Hi,
>Could you please tell me little more about that result of your testing?
>What kind of test did you perform?
>Those numbers (52-56MB/s) are confusing me. They are very high and I
>would really like to know how did you achieve them.

Mind-boggling, aren't they? :-)

This was the result of archiving (without deletion) of a mount point with
several Oracle tablespaces. Total size, about 1.9 GB un-compressed, or
about 510 MB compressed. I ran the silly thing several times, just trying
to get a feel for the *real* numbers. The ADSM spool is about 2.4 GB and
there were only three datasets in the file system, so there should have
been little overhead.

The SP2 switch is an internal high-speed tcp/ip net, rated at 140 MB/sec
(that's mega-bytes, not bits) per channel per direction -- my IBM hardware
types indicate that 80 MB/sec will probably be the max for the current
interface boards.

Now I find that the most important aspect, from the management side, will
be *restore* time after a glitch. It looks like my best bet here is to play
the co-location game to multiple storage pools and/or multiple tape units.
I currently have *one* 3590-B11 as my only tape unit. I am, needless to
say, quite nervous. I'd much rather have four or six units (and, while I'm
wishing for it, a full ATL instead of the ACF :-)

Tom Kauffman