ADSM-L

Re: SAP R/3 backups

1996-12-19 00:50:45
Subject: Re: SAP R/3 backups
From: Laurie DEMAMIEL <Laurie.L.R.DeMamiel AT WOODSIDE.COM DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 13:50:45 +0800
 Some background info.
The SAP R/3 system, the AIX, O/S and the BACKINT software has been set
up by our 'parent' company. They have a large amount of subsidaries and
operating companies around the world. So they set up a standard
implementation of software that is required by these companies.
Therefore there is minimal setup work required by us, so we haven't had
to create scripts etc etc.
Once we defined the SAP system as a client on our MVS ADSM server and
modifed the options file on the SAP system we were able to initiate a
backup from the SAP system.

We have done only a small amount of testing and this has raised a few
questions.

1. Does the SAP backup(BRBACKUP) via  BACKINT use ADSM backup or
archive for the database backups ? Ours is using the archive function.
With my understanding of ADSM this doesn't seem correct. We have yet to
have a reponse from the technical contacts that we have at our parent company.

2. What type of backups do you do? What is the frequency of these backups ?

3. What size is your SAP database ?

4. How do you backup your non ORACLE files ?  I was thinking that the
SAP system would control the SAP database backups and use ADSM to store
the backups, and that the non ORACLE file backups would be controlled by ADSM.

Any answers or suggestions you may have would be appreciated.
Regards
Laurie de Mamiel