ADSM-L

Re: Tape Relaimation question

1996-12-16 10:41:15
Subject: Re: Tape Relaimation question
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:41:15 EST
On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:48:46 -0500 Jerry Lawson said:
>Date:     December 16, 1996            Time:    09:18
>From:    Jerry Lawson
>    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
>    (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
>It's Monday, and I am having more than my usual bout of Monday morning
>slowness.....
>
>We have a tape stgpool that we do not want to add any more tapes to - we want
>all tapes to go into a new pool.  Now setting up the migration path for the
>newpool was easy - just changed the pointers in the dasd stgpool to point to
>the new tape pool.  The question now is " for reclaims in the old pool, how do
>we get the new tape to be allocated in the new pool?"  Looks to us as though
>reclaims are satisfied within the same pool.  We tried marking the pool Read
>Only, but that didn't seem to help.  Is there any way to do what I want (which
>is to slowly drain the old pool into the new pool as tapes are reclaimed)?

>Jerry Lawson

Here is a method I believe will work. But I have not tested it out yet.

------------        ---------------             ----------------
|          |------>|old tape pool |------------>|new tape pool |
|          |------>|old tape pool |------------>|new tape pool |
|disk      |       |              |             |              |
|----------|        ---------------             ----------------

Chain the new tape pool as the nextpool in the old tape pool. Then
set  the old tape pool with max scratch volumes allowed  = 0.
Mark the old tape volumes as readonly. Also you could mark the old
volumes with a max size of 1k, unless adsm will let us spec a lessor
value.
Hopefully we will get new tape drive to use this year, this is my thinking
on how we would work the problem. If this does not work. Then my
fallback itea was to chain disk-->new-tape-pool-->old-tape-pool
with the smallest max size set on the old-tape-pool.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513