ADSM-L

Re: Through Put for MVS Server

1996-12-11 13:16:00
Subject: Re: Through Put for MVS Server
From: Bruce Heckler <Bruce_Heckler AT ADCOM-OPERATIONS.UCSD DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:16:00 -0800
Holy Toledo Jaffray!

Your configuration is almost the same as ours, with the exception we're
running Interlink TCP/IP through FDDI.  However most of our workstations
are hooked off Novell 10-T lans, which makes the "pipe" same size as yours.

Worst case, we're seeing a half meg a second.  Best case is around 2 megs a
second.  And so far, it's about double for our Sun's hooked directly to FDDI.
Network traffic is much lower than expected.  About what you'd expect doing an
FTP on the Internet.

Since you mentioned 3490 tape, if you shoot backups directly to tape your wall
clock times will vary a whole bunch. Since this guy sticks a backup on the tail
end of an unfilled tape, it takes "a while" for the drive to fast forward out to
left field.  If you don't have something like a 3494, you'll have to factor in
how eager your operators are to mount tapes.  We'll be moving our backups onto
some RAMAC drives just for that reason.  But that won't happen til Jan., maybe.
Hey!, we're a university.  We have to scrounge for paper clips, manuals, and
trade our first born for drives larger than a 120 meg (Bobby was such a nice
kid). Such is life.

One thing worth mentioning:  We got hit with a nasty restore problem. Had a
Win95 PC with half a gig of data that took 5 hours to restore. Thing would go
like blazes for about 15 minutes, then drop into to syrup mode.  After talking
to ADSM support, bumped the client TCPBUFFSIZE=32, TXNBYTELIMIT=4096, and
TCPWINDOWSIZE=32. Same restore ran less than 20 min.  The defaults are waaaaay
too small. It also jazzes backup.  We're seeing throughput near 2 meg/sec. with
less variation in performance.