ADSM-L

Mounting a file system read-only for backups

1996-12-10 14:35:35
Subject: Mounting a file system read-only for backups
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:35:35 -0500
To avoid the situation of ADSM updating the access-times of files that it
backs up under AIX, I have been experimenting with mounting the file system
read-only...but without success.
    The scenario is that the file system (say "/x") will be mounted read-write
as usual, but to accomplish my goal I additionally mount it read-only at
mount point "/r", via 'mount -r /x /r'.  Fine: AIX is happy and via AIX
operations I can access files under /r without problem.
But when I try to get ADSM to perform an incremental backup on /r it complains
  "ANS4071E Invalid domain name entered: '/r'"
No combination of VIRTUALMountpoint's or DOMain's will make it happy,
and so the goal of backing up the file system in read-only mode cannot
be achieved.
    I would be interested in hearing how others may have accomplished
this objective.
       Thanks, Richard Sims, Boston University