ADSM-L

Re: STK ACSLS Interface

1996-12-10 15:37:37
Subject: Re: STK ACSLS Interface
From: Michael R Vogt 301-975-2886 <vogt AT RAVEN.NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:37:37 -0500
Hi,

I just got ADSM working with our STK 4410 library for the first time
yesterday afternoon. :-)

Our Timberlines are SCSI-2 Fast Wide attached directly to our 7013 J40.

After I found out that Enhanced ADSM supported the STK library I was
all excited until I found out that it cost an additional $20,000 on top
of what we had already paid for ADSM. :-(

When I was told that we didn't have the $20,000 to buy Enhanced ADSM,
I wrote a quick-and-dirty External Media Management program, defined
our STK library as EXTERNAL and attempted to define the drives to ADSM.

That didn't work because I had configured the drives to use native SCSI
code instead of 3490E emulation code, and because I had installed the ATDD
driver from OMI. After I deinstalled the ATDD driver, installed the Atape
driver from IBM, and reconfigured the drives, then I was able to define the
drives to ADSM!

Seems to work OK so far - ADSM basically just tells ACSLS to do the MOUNTs
and DISMOUNTs thru the external manager, and reads and writes directly to the
drives.

Many Thanks to:

        Peter Plourd from nasa.gov, Bertram le Duc from treedata.nl and
        Chuck Dennison from IBM for info on Enhanced ADSM,

        Dave M. from IBM, Gary Grider from lanl.gov, Craig Bell from IBM and
        Keith Crabb from uh.edu, and Peter Dove from OMI for info on
        drives and drivers.

Michael Vogt
vogt AT nist DOT gov