ADSM-L

Re: /tmp filesystem not backing up on AIX

1996-12-03 16:46:22
Subject: Re: /tmp filesystem not backing up on AIX
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:46:22 -0500
Paul Zarnowski wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:46:28 -0500 Tom Denier said:
> >The discussion of /tmp is related to a question I have been trying to
> >answer recently: what is supposed to happen if 'domain all-local' is
> >specified in the client user options file. The "User's Guide and
> >Reference for UNIX" states that 'the default value for this option
> >is ALL-LOCAL, which specifies that all local file systems are to
> >be backed up'. This description seems to make it perfectly clear
> >that /tmp will be backed up if 'domain all-local' is specified for
> >a client. On the other hand, I have clients using that domain
> >specification, and queries on the server seem to be indicating that
> >/tmp is not being backed up for those clients. Am I missing somethning,
> >or is the manual written incorrectly?
>
> You're missing something.  Page 101 of the User's guide:
>
>   If you do not specify file systems with the DOMAIN option in your client
>   user options file, the default is all locally mounted file systems except
>   /tmp.

My question and your response deal with different situations. My question
deals with the case where the domain option is specified explicitly as
'all-local'. Your response deals with the case where the domain option
is not specified at all. I understand perfectly well how the latter case
is supposed to work, and my observations indicate that it works just as
IBM claims it does.