ADSM-L

Re: Tape Mgmt: Device class mount limit and library drives

1996-10-18 06:46:46
Subject: Re: Tape Mgmt: Device class mount limit and library drives
From: "W. Baur" <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 10:46:46 +0000
On Oct 17,  6:37pm, Paul Zarnowski wrote:

> - While you are working in this area, I have often wished for the ability
>   to temporarily quiesce, or vary offline, one of the drives in a library,
>   so that I could clean the drive, or perform some other activity on it.
>   As things work now, I must DELETE the drive, decrement the mount limit,
>   clean the drive, then re-DEFINE the drive, and increment the mount limit.
>   This process is error-prone, especially when I forget to write down what
>   the definition of the drive should be (e.g., especially the element
number).

I can assist that. Recently I had to delete a drive. I re-defined it with an
typing error: DEF DR 3494lib rmt4 DEVI=/dev/rmt1 and did not notice it. Of
course /dev/rmt1 was already bound to rmt1. This has caused a lot of funny
effects: no more drives available' errors, 'unable to open /dev/rmt1' errors
It took us awhile to finally found the reason because we had had some real
problems with drive rmt1 some time before and associated the new problems with
the old error.

BTW: From time to time I have to set offline every tape drive in the
deviceclass by deleting it and therefore I have to set the mountlimit to 0.
This is only possible by deleting also the deviceclass. So I have one more
candidate for a incorrect redefinition.

Werner

Werner Baur
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:  S=Baur;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Werner.Baur AT lrz DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-28928781
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460