ADSM-L

Re: Tape Mgmt: Device class mount limit and library drives

1996-10-17 18:37:23
Subject: Re: Tape Mgmt: Device class mount limit and library drives
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 18:37:23 EDT
Craig,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for asking the user
community about this before making the change.  This type of advance
communication is very much appreciated!  To answer your questions:

I have never needed to set the mountlimit for a device class to anything
  other than the number of drives currently available in that class.  Indeed,
  I always found it a nuisance to have to both delete a drive and also
  decrement the mount limit for the device class.

While you are working in this area, I have often wished for the ability
  to temporarily quiesce, or vary offline, one of the drives in a library,
  so that I could clean the drive, or perform some other activity on it.
  As things work now, I must DELETE the drive, decrement the mount limit,
  clean the drive, then re-DEFINE the drive, and increment the mount limit.
  This process is error-prone, especially when I forget to write down what
  the definition of the drive should be (e.g., especially the element number).

We will be looking into using NetTape to share drives between ADSM and
  other servers.  We don't know much about it yet, but I wonder if there
  might be some reason to have a lower mount limit in such an environment???
  I have to confess that I don't yet understand fully how ADSM works with
  NetTape.  (we're planning to do this on an SP2)   I don't understand how
  drives are allocated to ADSM when using NetTape.

You ask about having multiple device classes in one library.  While we do
  not currently do this, I anticipate that we will want to do this in our
  Q47 DLT library.  We will probably want to add newer, higer capacity
  drives to our library which will leave us with two different drive types
  (and therefore device classes) in the same library, but both would have a
  device type of DLT.  This is very similar in concept to having both 3490
  and 3590 drives in the same robot, but in this case they would share the
  same device type.  I could see the same sort of problem arising in a 4mm
  or an 8mm library, which had 2 different types of drives in them.

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601