ADSM-L

Re: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure

1996-02-05 12:44:30
Subject: Re: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:44:30 -0600
On Feb 5, 12:17pm, Melinda Varian wrote:
> Subject: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure
> For the past several months, we have been plagued by the subject failure,
> especially in backing up large UNIX boxes, but even on the Macs and PCs.
> Our ADSM server is running under VM.  I've tried both levels 8 and 14
> of the server, with no apparent difference in the failure rate.  The

Melinda

I run ADSM on VM too.... and have the same complaint.  But... I was keeping
quiet because I also
have a "3172-like" controller that adsm/tcpip comes through and it fails and
restarts several
times a day.  but I have been noticing lately that the "comm failure" messages
and the box
failures are not necessarily at the same times.....

I have also now started to see in the ADSM activity log the message:
   ANR5101W TCPIP driver terminated.       Do you see these as well ??
 Again..it seems the

timing does not coincide with my box failing and restarting.  It seems that
ADSM restarts ok..
I get the message "tcpip ready for communications" again within a minute or so.
But no real
info on WHY it failed to begin with.

I am running at server level 10.

Any one else have any info on this ????  Or is there some way to get more info-
trace or whatever?
Susie McClure
RICE University