ADSM-L

Re: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure

1996-02-05 13:25:49
Subject: Re: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure
From: Francis Dequenne <syf AT ECMWF DOT INT>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 18:25:49 +0000
Same problem here. Note that we are running on ADSM V2 for AIX. (Boy, am I glad
to know that I am not  the only customer who thinks that this behaviour is ...
strange. :-)

We even had situations where some user sessions were pre-empted by some high
priority ADSM processes. These user sessions were aborted at the server level
as a result of this pre-emption (which is a problem in itself), but all that
was reported to the client was the dreaded ANS4017E.

At the moment, a better caption for ANS4017E could be "Something strange has
happened somewhere, let's panic. (recovery? what do you mean, recovery?)".

Let's hope that the labs, who are aware of the problem, provide soon more
robust recovery mechanism in their clients and APIs .

BTW, we are doing some evaluation tests around here, and when we start to
stress (just) a little bit the server, it is not uncommon to see 3% of the
sessions aborting with this message. I have seen this figure grows as high as
5%.

--
Regards
Regards

| Francis Dequenne  | Systems Section                  |      /~~\  /~~\     |
| ECMWF             | e-mail: fdequenne AT ecmwf DOT int      |     /    \/
\    |
| Shinfield Park    | Tel:    (+44 1734) 499361        |   ECMWF             |
| Reading           | Fax:    (+44 1734) 869450        |   ECMWF             |
| Berkshire RG2 9AX | Telex:  (+44 1734) 847908        |     \    /\    /    |
| United Kingdom    |                                  |      \__/  \__/     |