ADSM-L

Re: Database Compaction Question

1995-12-01 17:26:13
Subject: Re: Database Compaction Question
From: David Berger <DBERGER AT NEON.GI DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:26:13 PDT
>Use the SET ACTLOGRETENTION command to control the retention of activity
>log records.  The activity log does not maintain information on individual
>files, but is a log of events such as client sessions and background
>processes.
>
>Do you keep cached copies after files are migrated?  If so, database
>information will need to be maintained for both cached and primary files.
>
>Dave Cannon
>ADSM Development

I have things set up very simply here: one server that is driven by a single
local client to backup data on four servers.  There is no tape migration and I
only retain the most recent version of every file.  The entire database is then
backed up by someone else nightly.  I checked with QUERY CONTENT and all the
files I looked at are not cached.  My DSM.OPT for the client specifically sets
the management class on every file backed up and I only do incremental backups.
The one thing I noticed is that the client always sends directories.  We are
running OS/2 2.11 with FixPak XR_B098 and Lan Server Advanced 4.0 with FixPak
IP08150.  We are running with HPFS386 on all of the servers.

I'm currently at 99.9% of the 61440 4K database pages filled.  I have four
filespaces with 20607, 314956, 35050, and 47751 files in them.  (That's weird,
the 314956 is about twice what it should be.  Does that number include
directories?  How do I tell what management class a file is in and how do I get
a dump of files by management class?  Perhaps I'm not setting the management
class correctly.)