ADSM-L

Re: Database Compaction Question

1995-12-01 14:37:12
Subject: Re: Database Compaction Question
From: David Berger <DBERGER AT NEON.GI DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:37:12 PDT
>>I noticed that the percentage of the database used by the ADSM Server seems
>>to constantly increase even when I am expiring files at an almost equal rate.
>>Is there anyway to compact the database entries to eliminate those for
>>expired files that are no longer a part of my ADSM store?

>Executing EXPIRE INVENTORY should reduce the size of your database
>as indicated by the QUERY DB command.  If you do not see a reduction,
>it may be because additional files are being backed up during expiration
>processing.  Please look at other server activity during expiration
>to see if new files are being added.  If you still feel there is a
>problem, I suggest opening a problem report through IBM Service.

>Dave Cannon
>ADSM Development

I now get the following error messages:

ANR0527W Transaction failed for session 1 - sufficient database space is not
         available.
ANR2011W Server is out of DB space in adding entries to the Activity Log.
         Console messages will not be logged until DB space is available.

Is there some way I can purge the Activity Log from the database?  It is only
supposed to be holding 2 days worth right?  Is it keeping a transaction for
every file put into ADSM over and above the direct file information needed to
restore it?  I have over 200,000 files and 240M allocated for the database.  I
don't see how I am running out of space unless your database is extremely
inefficient in how is stores records.  Even at 512 bytes per file that is only
100M, then 10-20M for nodes, users, groups, etc., where is the extra 100M
going?  (By the way I have set up my server to only save one copy of each file
due to limited disk space.)

David Berger, frustrated ADSM V1 on OS/2 user.