ADSM-L

Database Compaction Question

1995-12-01 16:37:48
Subject: Database Compaction Question
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:37:48 MST
>Is there some way I can purge the Activity Log from the database?  It isonly
>supposed to be holding 2 days worth right?  Is it keeping a transaction or
>every file put into ADSM over and above the direct file information needd to
>restore it?  I have over 200,000 files and 240M allocated for the databae.  I
>don't see how I am running out of space unless your database is extremel
>inefficient in how is stores records.  Even at 512 bytes per file that i only
>100M, then 10-20M for nodes, users, groups, etc., where is the extra 100
>going?  (By the way I have set up my server to only save one copy of eac file
>due to limited disk space.)

>David Berger, frustrated ADSM V1 on OS/2 user.

Use the SET ACTLOGRETENTION command to control the retention of activity
log records.  The activity log does not maintain information on individual
files, but is a log of events such as client sessions and background
processes.

Do you keep cached copies after files are migrated?  If so, database
information will need to be maintained for both cached and primary files.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development