ADSM-L

Re: MIgration to AIX ADSM V2

1995-10-28 00:18:04
Subject: Re: MIgration to AIX ADSM V2
From: Yves Tremblay <ytrembla AT COURRIER.USHERB DOT CA>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 00:18:04 -0400
On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, Arty Ecock wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    We're considering migrating our VM ADSM server (level 15) to an AIX
> (or Unix) based ADSM Version 2 server.  We're mostly using ADSM to backup
> about 60 workstations, 1 Novell File Server, and about a dozen Unix machines.
> We're thinking about getting a DLT drive for an AIX machine, and offloading
> ADSM from VM (or ADSM server is starting to consume lots of CPU).
>
>    Has anyone else been through this?  Any comments on sizing (we're using
> a full 3390-3 to hold all the Vm server's minidisks, and about 200 3480
> tapes)?  Does ADSM V2 under AIX consume lots of resources?
>
> Very many thanx,
> Arty

I recently migrate ADSM from VM server to Aix server.

        1) Speed of backup is very better because Unix is a very true
             tcpip world.

        2) I installed Netware IPX drivers on my aix ADSM server because
           Novell communicate better in IPX/SPX mode

        3) I have 150 stations who backup on my server ( 65 Unix Aix and Sun,
            20 Novell station , Netware 3.11, 3.12 and 4.1, many windows,
            OS2, MAC, Linux, Dos)

        4) My database use now 2 Gb of disk

        5) I use 4 Gb to storage pool on Disk

        6) I have Tape library 8mm, 7331-201 of IBM, with 240Gb capacity
           with compression

        7) I'll add another 7331-205 in the next week

        8) When i migrate from VM to AIX, i just migrate archives files
            because i assume that client backup total data at a new times.

        9) To migrate archive files who was on 3490 cartridge, i used a
           PC to simulate retrieve all my client one by one anr archive
           on the new server. To migrate Unix archive i installed Linux
           on the PC and then retrieve and archive files.

        10 ADSM6000 is a good IBM product like ADSM VM was. All my clients
            are very satisfact.

If you have any questions, I'll be very happy to exchange with you my
experiences.

Yves Tremblay, University of Sherbrooke