ADSM-L

Re: backtrack?

1995-07-17 02:40:27
Subject: Re: backtrack?
From: Andrew Raibeck <raibeck AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 06:40:27 +0000
Pekka asks:

> Are you using Backtrack with Oracle or with Sybase? My understanding was that
> they also support logical backups. Is this true? Have you tried it out?
> Somebody from Oracle told me that a logical incremental backup (with the
> Oracle B/R API to come) would dump out the whole table if one item in the
> table has changed. Is this true with Backtrack?
>
> thanks in advance & best regards
>
> Pekka
>
> Pekka K. Kurki         Tel. +43-2256-815811
> Intellectics GesmbH    Fax  +43-2256-815819
> Schloss-Strasse 619    e-mail: pekka_kurki AT intellectics.co DOT at
> A-2551 Enzesfeld       X.400: PN=pekka_kurki; O=intellectics
> Austria                       PRMD=co; ADMN=ADA; CT=AT

To the best of my knowledge, SQL-BackTrack is for SYBASE only. It can
do full, logical, and incremental backups of databases, with a granularity
down to the tablespace level. So yes, if you change a table, the
incremental backup will back up only the changed table. This is as
opposed to the utilities that come with SYBASE, that require the
entire database to be backed up.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual