ADSM-L

ADSM on Sun/Solaris

1995-07-14 17:21:21
Subject: ADSM on Sun/Solaris
From: Michael Bryant <michael.bryant AT CCMAIL.FINGERHUT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 15:21:21 CST
I have a question for the ADSM community specifically those managing the SUN
environment.

We have open a request to IBM to enhance ADSM to backup all files found on a SUN
client.  Currently we find that ADSM does not backup special blocked files (this
is documented in the unix client manual page 235).  We feel that ADSM should
backup all files necessary to the restoration of a total file system.

Do any of you use ADSM as the only backup vehicle for SUN clients?  How are you
handling these special files that ADSM does not backup?  Do you feel the same
way we do that ADSM should provide full backup capabilities.  We are the second
company to ask for this
functionality.

I hesitate to use the phrase "Disaster Recovery" for this functionality, since
with SUN disks, failure seems to be weekly occurrence.

Thanks for your time,
Michael Bryant     (michael.bryant AT ccmail.fingerhut DOT com)
Fingerhut Companies
Plymouth, Minnesota