ADSM-L

Re: DSM LIMITS?

1995-04-17 10:25:11
Subject: Re: DSM LIMITS?
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 14:25:11 GMT
In <1995Apr15.130310.21704 AT draper DOT com>, BTCOATES AT delphi DOT com (Tom
Coates) writes:
>We also have the same concerns.  We are using the MVS server to
>backup 50+ Novell servers, 50+ HP-UX servers, AIX and ATT
>servers, Windows and OS/2.
> When we installed ADSM last year we tested doing a full
>restore of a Novell server across the WAN. It took 6 hours to
>get 550 MB restored. (etc. deleted)

I have gotten better results on the 1 server which ADSM is backing up.
The server is a Sun Sparc machine.  My mainframe is a 9221-421 (a
small rack mounted system, 2 processors at 10 mips each).  The dasdi
is 3380k behind 3390-3 with 64meg cache.  The tapes are stk 4490. The
network is all tcpip, with ethernet from mvs to the routers, and fddi
from the routers to the server.  The results of the test full restore
were 1.2GB in 6.5 hours; 88,000 files.  We were please with the
results since a different backup server took 15 hours and failed a
number of times.

Level 11 of the server has an important fix for restore performance
when the files are being read off of 3480 style cartridges. See apar
pn63301 in 'sys1.samplib(anr1110)'.

It was my impression and also that of the server administrator that
the slowest part of the restore was writing the directory on the
client machine.

I did not use 'DIRMC'.  I have never understood exactly what its
purpose was.  Could someone explain it to me?  How big a difference
does it make?

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com