ADSM-L

Re: DSM LIMITS?

1995-04-13 13:56:46
Subject: Re: DSM LIMITS?
From: Konrad Brandemuhl <UCCXKVB AT VM1.UCC.OKSTATE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:56:46 CST
On Tue, 11 Apr 1995 07:48:38 EST Bill Coughlin said:
>As part of the consolidation, we also plan on consolidating disk
>storage.  We have several 20GB RAID devices attached (16GB defined as
>one volume - mainly because of LAN administrative issues).  We are
>now talking about possibly well over 100,000 files and thousands of
>directories.  We are running the MVS server version of ADSM with the
>majority of the servers on 16MB rings. (mixture of APPC and TCP/IP on
>3172's and 3745's).  The backup time doesn't concern me.  The restore
>time for individual files and directories doesn't concern me.  What DOES
>CONCERN ME is the projected amount of time to DO A FULL RESTORE for
>disaster recovery scenarios - we are talking several DAYS to get back
>a 16GB drive!
>
>Sorry for "rambling" - have a good day.
>                                       Bill

I've been under the impression that ADSM is a high performance solution
so if backup and restore time are slow, I'm concerned.  I would like
IBM to comment on where the bottlenecks are in the above situation.

For this next fiscal year, I've budgetted about 250-300K for an
enterprise backup solution.  If it isn't going to perform well,
I'm going to have to look at different solutions.  Since my proposed
configuration is significantly different from the above, the details
are below:

RS/6000 ADSM server (R30-SMP), w/raid disk for indexes and first
        level migration (when I'm ready for migration), FDDI network
        interface, Escon or SCSI attached 3494-L10 tape library
        w/2 or 4 3490-E transports.

Currently we are backing up 15 Novell servers with Cheyenne Arcserve
with 60GB of data on 8mm tape.  Many of these servers are either
on FDDI or switched ethernet.  Some are on normal ethernet or Token
Ring (16MB) across the FDDI backbone.

With the solution I'm proposing, I'm planning to backup the above
Novell servers but with 100GB of data, plus 200GB of midrange data,
plus 1000-3000 campus desktop workstations (PCs, Macs, etc.)
(currently campus FDDI backbone with ATM backbone within a year.)

Where are my bottlenecks in the above RS/6000 ADSM server?
Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to backup the above
proposed environment with the above RS6K ADSM Server?

Konrad Brandemuhl                   uccxkvb AT vm1.ucc.okstate DOT edu
Enterprise Systems Services,        Computing & Information Services,
Oklahoma State University,          Stillwater, OK 74078-0606