ADSM-L

Re: Mac schedule client hang while VM server quiesced

1994-10-06 17:22:06
Subject: Re: Mac schedule client hang while VM server quiesced
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 16:22:06 EST
> From:          Mike Kaczmarski <kacz AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>  replied...

> An online database dump, when specified with CONSISTENT=YES (the default)
> QUIESCES all database transaction activity during the dump so that
> a consistent database image is recorded and a database audit is not required
> if you need to reload the database from the dump image at a later point in
> time.

Yes, I should have stated the DUMP DB was with consistent=yes.

> Since transaction activity is quiesced, new sessions cannot start
> during the dump, because session startup logic begins a database
> transaction.  Please refer to the README information provided with your
> server PTF for more information on this or contact me directly and I will
> be happy to discuss this with you.

I have read the README information, but it is irrelevant.  The ADSM
client scheduler software *MUST* (did I say that loud enough?) stay
out of the way.  I don't care what the network or the server is
doing, it is wrong, intolerable, a bug, just plain BAD for the ADSM
client to lock up the client machine.

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE