ADSM-L

Exabyte 8505 support

1994-10-05 20:00:37
Subject: Exabyte 8505 support
From: Chris Krusch <krusch AT UCS.UBC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 16:00:37 -0800
ADSM/6000 currently supports the exabyte exb60 and exb 120 jukeboxes using
the 8500C full height drives.

The new exabyte 1/2 height drives (8505XL) are less expensive, handle the
7gb extra length tapes, have a faster transfer rate, and a much higher MTBF
figure. The additional reliability, capacity, and speed make them more
attractive than the old full height drives for use in a backup service.

Exabyte has recently released their 2/10 jukebox (2 8505XL drives, 10
tapes) and is expecting to release their 4/40 (4 8505XL drives, 40 tapes)
and 4/80 (4 8505XL drives, 80 tapes) jukeboxes sometime in the next few
months.

I suspect there's no problem using these drives stand alone, but am
interested in knowing if/when ADSM/6000 would support these new jukeboxes.
Can anyone at at ADSM development shed some light on this?

We're just ramping up to run a pilot project with ADSM/6000 - would be
interested in talking to or hearing user experiences from anyone who's
using it with 8mm jukeboxes. Anyone out there using an 8mm jukebox other
than exabytes? Anyone using exabyte 120 look alikes (I understand MTI makes
one).

Any info would be much appreciated.

Chris Krusch                             Email: krusch AT ucs.ubc DOT ca
University Computing Services            Phone: (604)822-4215