BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] File format for BackupPC

2010-02-12 17:26:14
Subject: [BackupPC-users] File format for BackupPC
From: John Hudak <jjhudak AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:24:11 -0500
Before I install backuppc and rsyncd client on my windoz boxes, I have some questions about file recovery using Backuppc.

1. After files are backed up to my linux server (Debian 5.0), assuming no compression, on the Linux box, can I look at the file directories and open say a backed up.pdf file using file browser in Debian 5?

1a - If I can do '1' then presumably I can ssh into the Debian box and navigate to the backed up file directory and open up file.  True?
1b. If I can do '1a' then there would be no problem copying a subset of the files to a memory stick, and then copy the files to another windoze machine?

2.  If I can't view files using the file browser as described in '1' above, how can I accomplish this?

3.  If the files are compressed, how can I view the backed up directories and files?

4. Are there any words of advice/tricks to know about when installing rsyncd on windoz boxes and having the backuppc app easily find it?

Thanks for the input...
John