nv-l

Re: [nv-l] status change problem??

2005-09-14 09:17:23
Subject: Re: [nv-l] status change problem??
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:15:52 -0400
Swapna,
I don't want to sound rude, but you have this habit of confusing NetView
for Windows with NetView for UNIX.
They are not the same product, and they work differently in many areas,
especially in the GUI, which cannot be common, and events, which are also
not common.  And doing automated things from Windows is difficult because
of the limits of the operating system.  It simply doesn't lend itself to
easy user APIs.

That's why you have to specify in the Trap Settings what kind of an
automatic command you are planning on running,  hidden, Widows GUI, or
console.  Unlike UNIX where you can just spawn a process with fork() and
have it work, Windows uses different parameters on its CreateProcess()
call, and those dramatically limit what your spawned process can do.  For
example, a hidden command will never be able to launch a GUI process which
creates a pop-up window for the user to see.  In fact, only a GUI process
can create another GUI process, so if you specify Windows GUI, then your
bat is going to be shipped off to be executed by polld.   That's how the
NetView for Windows designers got around that limitation.

Now I have no idea what kind of a command  launching  a java environment
would require -- hidden, console, or GUI -- nor whether Windows will even
let you launch a java process in this manner.   Perhaps someone else does.
But the polld error you see in the nv.log could indeed be the reason why
your bat doesn't seem to work.  How to diagnose what the problem is or how
to get around it is not something I can help you with, however.  There is
no tracing available that I am aware of.  If you have to have a java
process, then I suggest you call Support if you cannot pursue this on your
own.  But my advice would be to not try to run a java process in this
fashion.  I'd just launch nvsnmptrap from a plain old bat file, which I
know works.

HTH

James Shanks
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Swapna Prasad
             <swapna56782004@y
             ahoo.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] status change problem??
             09/14/2005 02:51
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi All,

          I am using Netview 7.1.4 on Windows.

          How to find out whether the command in the auto action of event
configuration has executed or not. The command is .bat which executes a
java application which executes the nvsnmptrap for status change. The map
is in read-write mode. The event browser is opened from Monitor-->Events-->
All Events. The objects I am trying to change the status has the "status
source of Symbol".
       When I execute my application from the command line I see a 58916871
trap in the event browser, but I don't see that from auto action, nor any
status change occurs.

I referred to couple of mails in the archive. Under the Requirements for
status change to work it is mentioned as follows...

   1. In order for an event, no matter how it is processed, to override
status
and change the color of an object on the map(s), the Event process (called
nvevents) must be running in dynamic workspace in a control desk on the
read-write map, and the control desk must have been started by ovw (the map
process) initially.  This is the default NetView End User Interface
configuration.
The reason for this is that the APIs for the status override function are
in nvevents and ovw, and they can only be used effectively when both are
connected to the same read-write map. "

           The only service running in my machine is
nvservice.exe,netmon.exe,trapd.exe.....  I don't see ovw or nvevents in
netview installation directory. Are they referring to older version of
NetView. Everything else seems to work ok.

In the nv.log I see this WARNING message

[ovspmd] WARNING: /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf: object manager polld: invalid
behavior 120
[ovspmd] C:\usr\ov\bin\ovspmd.exe: /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf: object manager
polld: invalid behavior 120

Is this any thing to do with the problem with status change.

Is there anything else I need to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Swapna