nv-l

Re: [nv-l] How to populate hostname in TEC slot mapping

2004-04-22 16:21:17
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to populate hostname in TEC slot mapping
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:12:23 +0100
Thanks James - $AGENT_ADDR does indeed get the IP address of the agent with problems. We get the same value mapped to the TEC origin field (by default, it appears). This is useful info but I'd still like a real hostname, resolved the way NetView resolves everything else. Otherwise I can't look for duplicates in TEC if some events are for a hostname of poppet.skills-1st.co.uk and some have a hostname of 10.0.0.100!
Cheers,
Jane

James Shanks wrote:

Jane -

I took a quick look in the code and I think the man page left out the option you are looking for. Try $AGENT_ADDR in your slot map in trapd.conf and see whether that gives you what you want. I can see where we pull it, but I cannot tell whether it gets resolved or not later on.

James Shanks
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

*Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>*
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com

04/21/2004 05:07 PM
Please respond to
nv-l

        nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
cc

Subject
        Re: [nv-l] How to populate hostname in TEC slot mapping

I am using the xnmtrap GUI where everything gets configured.  The middle
boxes specify the TEC class to map a TRAP to and the TEC slot mapping. It is the TEC slot mapping where I want access to a hostname variable. I know I can use $COMMUNITY, $ENTERPRISE, $SOURCE_TIME, $TYPE, $SPECIFIC
and $V1 - 15 .  NetView enterprise TRAPs generally have the second TRAP
varbind as the hostname so for that I could use $V2 but many TRAPs don't
include the "host with the problem" as a TRAP varbind - it's part of the
SNMP/UDP/IP header after all and NetView obviously knows where it came
from because he always displays it in the event workspace and make it
available as the $A variable if you want to configure an action in the
bottom box of the xnmptrap application.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Jane