nv-l

RE: [nv-l] netmon.seed file

2004-01-29 09:01:58
Subject: RE: [nv-l] netmon.seed file
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr AT csgsystems DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:49:08 -0600
I would be remiss if I did not point out that clearing your database to fix
discovery would never be a recommended process (in my opinion). If you can't
get somethign discovered, it is my experience, that there is a very good reason
for it. Usually, it has to do with part of the object such as an interface
already being discovered, perhaps with a different name than you are expecting.
Discovery can fail for other reasons as well, but the rule of thumb will be
(and some others can back me up here) that clearing the database is swinging a
sledgehammer at a gnat. Keep in mind, in most cases, topology rediscovery will
an outage situation for the NetView platform. Most shops during normal
production would not want to do that.

Also remember that under certain circumstances, discovery doesn't happen
immediately. It can take a while. I know that lots of times nodes pop right
into discovery but it's not always that fast. What I would do is do an
ovtopodump to a file and then use your favorite editor to poke around for the
partial object. doing your usual topology maintenance (ovtopofix -A and
mapcount -a) might also help. But clearing the database should be viewed as a
"last ditch" effort.