nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Netview Justification

2002-04-30 07:16:17
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview Justification
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON AT arinc DOT com>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:16:17 -0400
You dont mind if I steal some of your lines do you?  Great stuff!

Jason

/////

Do these people have pointy hair?

If they're smart enough to appreciate analogies, you can ask "Other
than tell you when/if the building is on fire, what is our fire alarm
system doing?"   Or "other than tell us when someone has entered the
building without authorization, what is that security system doing?"
"Other than sending out a stream of water, what is that water fountain
doing?"

A mention of "To your recollection, has their been a network outage
that has gone undetected and impacted our productivity for an extended
period recently?"  If the answer is "No," then you reply "That's the
value NetView is providing.  Timely alerting of network faults and a
graphical view of the entire infrastructure indicating what if any
problems are occuring."

NetView is a fault management tool.  It gives you a graphical map of
network device status, and alerts you to fault and events in the
network.   If they don't need such functionality they don't need
NetView.  But I suspect that they do need such functionality and just
don't realize it....

Funny thing about network management is that when it's working its
best, no one notices it.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/