nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Dependencies on framework?

2002-04-26 17:40:14
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Dependencies on framework?
From: "George deSocio" <desocio AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:40:14 -0400
Craig,

I saw Steve's post, so I won't mention TEC, (which I'm unqualified to
address anyway :-)

Version 6 requires Framework installed on the NetView box.  There are
several reasons.  The primary reason is installation of the product itself,
and installation of patches.  Secondarily is administration.  If you have
no Framework on the box, you will not be able to upgrade to 6.0.3.  And you
can't install Framework after you've cloned either- at least not easily,
and in any case unless you're a Framework hacker.

If you clone NetView to another box, just to get it to run, consider the
following:

Another dependancy is in the NetView daemon ovtopmd.   ovtopmd requires
access to a Framework shared library named libtmf.a which you can find in
$LIBDIR which is unique to your Framework installation.  If libtmf.a is not
somewhere in the $LIBPATH when ovtopmd is started, it will immediately exit
255.  Which you can see in the output of the ovstatus command.  Note that
if ovtopmd doesn't start, you have no NetView (which I'm sure you know).
As a workaround, you can copy libtmf.a to somewhere in your $LIBPATH.  This
is the only Framework shared library to worry about in AIX.  Solaris is
different- more dependancies exist in Solaris.  Remember, this doesn't
address installation of patches, or the fact that NetView is now on a new
IP address/hostname.  reset_ci exists in part to address that ...

Another dependancy is reset_ci.  If you run reset_ci, it will fail updating
a Framework object if Framework is not there or otherwise corrupted.  This
particular problem is benign, however.  The essential functions of reset_ci
still get done correctly.  In a clone environment, you will likely have map
ownership issues as well.  See the mapadmin command.

The assumption of course is that you are administering NetView using the
serversetup command or smit(ty).

(the above information is not a recommendation, nor a configuration that
can be diagnosed ("supported") by my team.  It's just FYI stuff)

Geo de Socio

Tivoli NetView for UNIX & NT Support

                      "Treptow, Craig"

                      <Treptow.Craig@pri        To:       "NetView List
(E-mail)" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
                      ncipal.com>               cc:

                                                Subject:  [nv-l] Dependencies
on framework?
                      04/26/2002 04:02

                      PM

We are running Netview 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.3.

We are building a hardware cluster of two machines to run Netview on.  I've
got all of our rules, scripts, traps, etc. copied over to the new machine.
My local Tivoli support person tells me that this new machine can't "see"
the TEC events server and wants to know if this will break Netview.  As far
as I know, the only dependency Netview has on the framework is for
installing/removing.  I believe that it should be as simple as turning on
event forwarding to TEC for the new machine, and shutting it off of the old
machine.

Can anybody confirm this, or point me to some documentation that clearly
states there are no other dependencies?

Thanks for any help.

Craig

A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plus three times the square root of four,
Divided by seven,
Plus five times eleven,
Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.