nv-l

Re: Events from NetView to T/EC

2001-02-19 19:32:33
Subject: Re: Events from NetView to T/EC
From: James_Shanks AT tivoli DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:32:33 -0500
Someone other than you has spent some time customizing your system and you
will have to investigate what they did.
NetView does not send specific events 1001 and 1187.  Those are being sent
by some other piece of software on your box, perhaps an snmptrap script
kicked off by a ruleset or by an automatic action in another trap.    I am
at a loss to explain at this point the correlation you see between "minor"
severity in NetView and "critical in TEC.  Here's the code slice we use to
do that mapping:

/* ======================================================================

 *

 *  Function Name:           mapSeverity

 *

 *  Functional Description:  converts NV severity to TEC severity

 *

 *=================================================================== */

char* TecConnServer::mapSeverity(int severity)

{

  // transform our severity to the Tivoli equivalent

  switch (severity)

  {

     case CLEARED:
         return "HARMLESS";
         break;

    case INDETERMINATE:
        return "UNKNOWN";
        break;

    case WARNING:
        return "WARNING";
        break;

    case MINOR:
        return "MINOR";
        break;

    case CRITICAL_SEV:
        return "CRITICAL";
        break;

    case MAJOR:
        return "FATAL";
        break;

     default:
         return "UNKNOWN";
         break;
  }
  return "UNKNOWN";  /* make the compiler happier */
}

/* ======================================================================

So perhaps a script somewhere is actually using wpostemsg to send the evnt and
bypassing trapd all together.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

Montoya Vincent-O10501 <Vincent.Montoya AT motorola DOT com>@tkg.com on
02/19/2001
03:53:20 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com