nv-l

Re: Flat file DB --> RDBMS

1999-12-06 10:17:02
Subject: Re: Flat file DB --> RDBMS
From: Frederic Mottiat <frederic_mottiat AT BE.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:17:02 +0100
Alain,

seems you are doing a lot of NetView activities, these days :-)
Which is the DB you want to put in a RDBMS ?

Globally, if we talk about NetView and RDBMS, you can :
- regularly upload your trapd.log in a RDBMS : usefull if you want to know a
little bit more about your event traffic patterns as you'll be able to query
this RDBMS with SQL (and some NetView commands as well)
- regularly upload the snmp collected data (from snmpCollect) into a RDBMS :
usefull for queries, again
- store the topology database in a RDBMS : usefull if you want to compare, for
instance, the "evolution" of your network topology. But I would advise you not
to do this, unless you have a very good reason, because the performance are up
to 20 times slower than when using the flat file topology DB.

In any case, I urge you to read the NetView Database Guide. You might have not
received it in hardcopy with your NetView software, so go to
www.support.tivoli.com : you can download the guide (PDF) from there (you'll
need a userid and password to access some part of this web site, again check
with your Tivoli team)

Regards,

Frederic

Frederic Mottiat - IBM Global Services (PSS-SMNS)
Tivoli Implementation & Services
Email : frederic_mottiat AT be.ibm DOT com
Tel :  02/225 34 08        Gsm : +32 (0)75 388 773