Re: Discovery on Netview NT - or not

1999-11-02 11:12:20
Subject: Re: Discovery on Netview NT - or not
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles AT INTEL DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 08:12:20 -0800
I can think of two possibilities:
  1)  It thinks the subnet mask is messed up.
  2)  You have a DNS problem.  It seems NetView NT has to resolve nodes
      and addresses both ways:
        e.g.  a)  It gets node xyz, which gets granslated to xx.xx.xx.xx
                b)  It takes xx.xx.xx.xx and expects to get xyz.

        If either of these operations fail... then NetView seems to
        have discovery problems.

Suggestion... re-init your database, and once everything is back up then
turn on tracking  i.e. #  netmon -M 63.  Then keep looking at

Maybe before you do this though... look for an indicator in

My 2 cents.

Gary Boyles, Intel

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Stephenson [mailto:debbie_stephenson AT UK.IBM DOT COM]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 1:48 AM
Subject: Discovery on Netview NT - or not


After installing Netview511 for NT we discovered that some nodes had
'disappeared', after trying and failing to re-discover them we decided to
the database and re-discover the whole network (there are only 104 nodes in
total to monitor).  This used to take about 1 hour under Netview 5.0a for
Initially Netview discovered 64 nodes (2 to the 6 - strange) , we left it
overnight to discover the rest of the network.  The next day it was still at
After trying several approaches i.e. altering polling option, etc.  we then
decided to prune the discovered nodes from the seedfile and stop and start
netmon deamon.  Netview then picked up a few more nodes, then stopped.  We
on pruning the  seedfile and stopping & starting netmon, eventually we got
whole network.

It's worth mentioning that prior to the action taken to prune the seed file,
those nodes which had NOT been discovered could be ping'ed,  their MIBs
could be
browsed, we could do a route trace - but none of this forced Netview into
action.  Also there appeared to be no pattern in the undiscovered nodes, no
common network features, some were at the top/middle/end of the seedfile.

I'm wondering if anyone out there using Netview511 for NT has experienced
same problems we have recently.  We can not think of an explanation for it.


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>