Discovery on Netview NT - or not
After installing Netview511 for NT we discovered that some nodes had
'disappeared', after trying and failing to re-discover them we decided to clear
the database and re-discover the whole network (there are only 104 nodes in
total to monitor). This used to take about 1 hour under Netview 5.0a for NT.
Initially Netview discovered 64 nodes (2 to the 6 - strange) , we left it
overnight to discover the rest of the network. The next day it was still at 64.
After trying several approaches i.e. altering polling option, etc. we then
decided to prune the discovered nodes from the seedfile and stop and start the
netmon deamon. Netview then picked up a few more nodes, then stopped. We kept
on pruning the seedfile and stopping & starting netmon, eventually we got the
It's worth mentioning that prior to the action taken to prune the seed file,
those nodes which had NOT been discovered could be ping'ed, their MIBs could be
browsed, we could do a route trace - but none of this forced Netview into any
action. Also there appeared to be no pattern in the undiscovered nodes, no
common network features, some were at the top/middle/end of the seedfile.
I'm wondering if anyone out there using Netview511 for NT has experienced the
same problems we have recently. We can not think of an explanation for it.