nv-l

Re: snmpmib.bin format

1999-06-30 12:33:25
Subject: Re: snmpmib.bin format
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:33:25 -0400
I know nothing about what Nways supports regarding the 8260, though if they
don't now, then I would have thought they would be planning to do so.
Supporting IBM hardware is one of their primary missions.  Furthermore, it looks
to me like what you are after is the table which maps ports to interfaces, and I
thought that was one of the primary things that  Nways provided.   Are you sure
you are on the current release?  If you need a  more definitive answer on this,
then I would suggest a call to Support  for Nways.

The interface to snmpmib.bin is the MIB browser.   Can you not get what you want
from there?

 After all, snmpmib.bin is just a binary representation of a bunch of MIBs
arranged in hierarchical fashion.  It does not store  the values you get by a
query, so  anything you can get from snmpmib.bin you could also get by manually
analyzing the MIB.   And the MIB browser should show that same structure to you.

If what you want is the actual values returned in this array from an 8260  in a
programmatic fashion, I would have thought a simple script with snmpget for the
OIDs you want would suffice, or perhaps you could gather them automatically
using snmpCollect if they don't change frequently or you know the schedule on
which they do.

There is no other user interface to the MIB  database which is supported nor
planned so far as I know.  Furthermore there is no design document other than
the code itself, so it would be an effort to prepare some thing like that.
Someone would have to be tasked to do it, and by providing it to you, NetView
product development would be  now be declaring  another  public user interface
that must be documented and maintained.  Those are the legal niceties of what
you are asking for.
If you think that is how it should be, then my suggestion  is to send a note to
netview AT tivoli DOT com explaining why you want such an interface so it can be
considered for a future release.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

martin.conway AT barclays.co DOT uk on 06/30/99 10:14:31 AM