nv-l

Re: Why does netmon ping nodes with no maps open???

1999-06-10 10:32:37
Subject: Re: Why does netmon ping nodes with no maps open???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:32:37 -0400
Jeff -

What documentation are you reading?  netmon is a daemon precisely so he can
continue to poll devices when no maps are open.  He continually updates the
topology database, and when the GUI comes up, ipmap reads topology and
updates the map with everything different  from the last time it was up.
The process called synchronization that you see on the bottom on the map
when you open it initially is ipmap updating the map with the changes
netmon put into topology.

I thought this process was more or less explained in the User's Guide for
Beginners and the NetView Admin Guide.

netmon determines whom to poll and when to poll by the SNMP Configuration
entries you make, and by the contents of the object and topology databases,
which he maintains.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz AT PRINCETON DOT EDU> on 06/10/99 09:48:21 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>