nv-l

Why does netmon ping nodes with no maps open???

1999-06-10 09:48:21
Subject: Why does netmon ping nodes with no maps open???
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:48:21 -0400
        I am runing Netview 5.1.1 on Solaris 2.6.

Netmon continues to poll everything in obj-database with no maps open.

I have closed the GUI for Netview and am the only user.  I would not
expect netmon to poll for devices unless there was a map open to tell it
which devices it needs to poll.

I have verified this with "SNOOP" on solaris, which is a packet capture
tool.  If I stop netmon all ICMP requests cease.

It appears to be pinging everything in the object database.

This doesn't sound right.  Why pole devices  not contained in any open
map.   Yes they were discovered but the maps I open may contain only a
subset of database.

Jeff Fitzwater
Princeton University