nv-l

Re: trapd

1999-02-19 13:20:07
Subject: Re: trapd
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:20:07 -0500
You will get the message that nvserverd is not running if it does not
respond to a message put on its socket.  That's the same as "down" so far
as the events window is concerned.

I would try doing a netstat -a when this occurs and look for high numbers
in the send and receive queues.  That would indicate that some daemon in
the chain of events is hung or in a loop and not processing what is put on
his queue.  Usually this indicates a badly constructed ruleset being loaded
in ESE.automation, but I suppose there could be other causes too.   I just
have never seen any.

If you think you have a problem with trapd, you could try running the trapd
trace by issuing "trapd -T" from the command line and then looking at the
output in /usr/OV/log/trapd.trace.   But I don't know exactly what to tell
you to look for -- something out of the ordinary.    You might also look at
what is happening with trap reception.  If you start getting many traps a
second, they will all get queued rather than processed, so the event flow
will be held up for awhile (until you get the improvement for this
situation in 5.1.1).

As usual I'd suggest a call to Support.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Larry H <remlali AT HAREM.ERICSSON DOT SE> on 02/19/99 11:08:32 AM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>