nv-l

Re: Null value in Collection substring

1998-12-29 11:08:08
Subject: Re: Null value in Collection substring
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:08:08 -0500
I'm assuming you are trying to make a collection based on attributes, and
the attributes are
sysContact and sysLocation, and you are using an operator of '=' and trying
to figure out
how to specify the blank or null as the comparison value. I am suggesting
that instead of
'=' you try the '<'  (less than) operator, and specify ! (bang) as the
comparison value.  The
point is that you can use < and > for strings as well as for numeric
comparison. This
might get you by any vagaries on how the collection editor deals with
nulls, blanks, and
extra quote marks. If that's not what you were asking, well, never
mind.....

There is a trap generated when a new node  is added (58785794).
There is also one generated when sysContact changes (58982410) and when
sysLocation
is changed (58982411). You see these when netmon restarts, I suppose from
the daily
configuration poll. You also see them at node discovery for snmp nodes.
You might try, in a ruleset, checking for membership in your collection, or
just
checking that database fields when you get one of those events.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark

Leslie,  I don't really understand what you are saying.  Can you
clarify????
Also, Is it possible to have NetView send an E-mail when it discovers a new
device that was not configured properly with sysContact and sysLocation
information?
---------------------- Forwarded by Lucy Premus/Bsg/MetLife/US on 12/29/98

Leslie Clark <lclark AT US.IBM DOT COM> on 12/23/98 10:12:10 PM

      NetView <NV-L AT UCSBVM.ucsb DOT edu>