nv-l

Re: ovw BadAccess Message from NV for AIX

1998-09-22 09:31:58
Subject: Re: ovw BadAccess Message from NV for AIX
From: James_Shanks AT TIVOLI DOT COM
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:31:58 -0400
Have you opened a call to Support?  You should if your problem is urgent.

I hardly know where to begin.  There are no problems more difficult to
debug than those created by user customization which did not work.  To
begin with, I hope you have a backup, because you may have to delete this
map and start over. You should always be able to see the location symbols
you have created regardless of the background file  you have chosen.  If
you remove them altogether can you then see your location symbols?  If so,
are they in the application plane or the user plane (shadowed)?  Are your
location symbols on the Internet submap as they should be?  Be sure to
review the section in NetView Administrator's Guide, Chapter 3, entitled
"Adding Symbols and Objects" so you have a good idea about what I am
talking about.

I would begin the debug process by formatting the nettl log when this
happens.
     netfmt -f /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG00 > formatted.LOG00
     netfmt -f /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG01 > formatted.LOG01
and look in the formatted output for more descriptive error messages

I would also shut down the GUI and try ovmapcount -a and then ovtopofix (-A
if you have just one map, -a if you have more than one), and see if that
helps.  These are the first things Level 2 Support will request that you
do.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Adriana Gomes <agomes AT VE.IBM DOT COM> on 09/22/98 10:03:13 AM

      NetView et alia <NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU>